Organic Ethiopian Blue Tinge Farro - 1lb
Farro goes way back, first cultivated 9,600 BC in the Fertile Crescent. Along with Italy, Northern Ethiopia is one of the few places that still cultivate it. This is a very special landrace (heirloom) variety of emmer farro with a lovely dark chocolate color which hints at its high antioxidant power (like tea, chocolate & black grapes). While the bran in all whole grains provides important protection against obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer & intestinal problems, Ethiopian Blue Tinge packs a bigger punch than its lighter cousins. But most importantly, it’s seriously yummy protein!
Enjoy this unique farro in soups & savory Mediterranean salads. It pairs beautifully with roasted root veggies & makes a striking side dish. Feeling simple? Nosh it first thing in the morning with fresh fruit, brown sugar, & a dollop of cream. This is a raw, living food. Sprout it! Grind it! Bake a dark & lovely loaf. Go nuts with grains!
Basic Cooking Instructions:
- Rinse & drain. Add 3 cups water or stock for every cup of Farro.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer 30-40 minutes.
- For more tender grain, keep cooking, checking every 5-10 minutes.
- Need it faster? Overnight soaking reduces cooking time to about 20 minutes
- (and may increase the availability of nutrients).
- Make ahead & keep refrigerated or frozen until ready to use.
*1 cup dry farro yields 2-2 1/2 cups cooked whole grain.
*Cooked farro stores well and retains its texture up to one
week in the refrigerator and 6 months in the freezer.